More
    HomeAsian News9th US telecoms firm is hit by Chinese espionage campaign

    9th US telecoms firm is hit by Chinese espionage campaign

    Published on

    WASHINGTON (AP) — A ninth U.S. telecoms firm has been confirmed to have been hacked as part of a sprawling Chinese espionage campaign that gave officials in Beijing access to private texts and phone conversations of an unknown number of Americans, a top White House official said Friday.

    Biden administration officials said this month that at least eight telecommunications companies, as well as dozens of nations, had been affected by the Chinese hacking blitz known as Salt Typhoon.

    The hacking gave officials in Beijing access to private texts and conversations of an unknown number of Americans. AP

    But Anne Neuberger, the deputy national security adviser for cyber and emerging technologies, told reporters Friday that a ninth victim had been identified after the administration released guidance to companies about how to hunt for Chinese culprits in their networks.

    The update from Neuberger is the latest development in a massive hacking operation that has alarmed national security officials, exposed cybersecurity vulnerabilities in the private sector and laid bare China’s hacking sophistication.

    The hackers compromised the networks of telecommunications companies to obtain customer call records and gain access to the private communications of “a limited number of individuals.” Though the FBI has not publicly identified any of the victims, officials believe senior U.S. government officials and prominent political figures are among those whose whose communications were accessed.

    The FBI has not publicly identified any of the victims. cunaplus – stock.adobe.com

    Neuberger said officials did not yet have a precise sense how many Americans overall were affected by Salt Typhoon, in part because the Chinese were careful about their techniques, but a “large number” were in the Washington-Virginia area.

    Officials believe the goal of the hackers was to identify who owned the phones and, if they were “government targets of interest,” spy on their texts and phone calls, she said.

    The FBI said most of the people targeted by the hackers are “primarily involved in government or political activity.”

    Neuberger said the episode highlighted the need for required cybersecurity practices in the telecommunications industry, something the Federal Communications Commission is to take up at a meeting next month.

    The FBI said that the majority of individuals targeted were involved in government or political activity. WU HAO/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock

    “We know that voluntary cyber security practices are inadequate to protect against China, Russia and Iran hacking of our critical infrastructure,” she said.

    The Chinese government has denied responsibility for the hacking.

    Source link

    Latest articles

    Asia Healthcare Summit 2025 Present In Jakarta, Highlight AI-Based Health Services

    JAKARTA - Intersystems, an innovative data technology provider, announced that the Asia Healthcare Summit...

    India economic outlook | Deloitte Insights

    India’s workforce edge in a digital...

    Stock Market LIVE Updates: GIFT Nifty indicates a negative start; Asian markets gain, US ends mixed

    Market on Thursday | Sensex, Nifty end higher amid last hour sharp recovery...

    More like this

    Trump calls on Intel CEO to resign

    President Donald Trump on Thursday demanded the resignation of Intel CEO Lip-Bu Tan following...

    Documented Co-Hosts “Say No to Violence” Family Day for Chinese Community

    In response to a string of violent incidents and bullying reported by Chinese community...